Thursday, September 13, 2007

Kathy Griffin says, "Suck it, Jesus!" at Emmys


Comedian Kathy Griffin, a self-proclaimed militant atheist and a deconverted Roman Catholic, Griffin made provocative remarks about Jesus at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards. Her comments will be cut from a pre-taped telecast of the show, the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences said on Tuesday.

Griffin took the stage of the Shrine Auditorium on Saturday night to collect her Emmy for best reality program for her Bravo channel show "My Life on the D-List."

Holding up her statuette, she declared, "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus...Suck it, Jesus. This award is my god now."

Asked about her speech backstage a short time later, an unrepentant Griffin added, "I hope I offended some people. I didn't want to win the Emmy for nothing."

That is one of the most self-obvious statements I've heard in a while! I'm sure she has offended a number of people with her statement, especially Catholic leaders who are taking this as a direct attack on their church (for some reason).

I have to say though that I thought she made a very accurate statement (minus that personal insult at the end). Jesus has very little to do with anything regarding the Emmy Awards or network television in general. The shows represented by the Emmy Awards promote a hedonistic, atheistic, humanistic, anti-Christ worldview. I'm not sure why so many people are surprised when someone in their ranks finally let's the cat out of the bag. She's merely revealing something that astute Christians have known for a long time.

No comments: